Disclaimer: this blog is intended for average user that would like to know more about ways to improve his/her site ranking. Experts are invited to post their comments, agree or disagree with my posting so this blog will be learning experience for everyone. Isn’t that cool?
SEO – Search Engine Optimization – is the top topic for any Webmaster, Consultants, would be Webmaster from the smallest on line presence to largest corporations on line.
It seems that nowadays everyone knows everything and anything about SEO and more and more individuals (a few calling themselves “SEO AGENCY” and/or “CONSULTANTS” doing business in the SEO/SEM niche for decades!!!) are trying to make a fortune on this. I have strong conception that the average website owner (my potential client!) should have some knowledge about SEO/SEM business. It is much easier to negotiate a contract with a knowledgeable client.
What is SEO? It stands for Search Engine Optimization. In plain talk, you make your site user friendly for search engine crawlers and spiders and implicitly for your visitors. At the very basis of any optimization is choosing the right keywords. Users will always use keywords (or key phrases) to find what they are looking for. Choosing the right keywords is crucial and a site should be build around the chosen keywords. There are many software on internet claiming to make this job a breeze. Choose carefully! Instead you can use Google AdWords itself (highly recommend!) to find the right keywords by going to their Search-Based Keywords page or AdWords Keyword Tool.
Now, you have several sets of keywords, one set for each page of your site. Oops! I didn’t mention that you need to treat each page in your site as an individual website: its own head, meta tags, title, description, side bars and so on. You need to insert those keywords into your page content. I use an elementary method for this. I write down on a large piece of paper all keywords I want to insert in my content. Then I build sentences and phrases with each word. And then I put all together in a meaningful way. I structure my pages the same way I use to do my research papers in school.: it’s quite important to have your header (“opening statement”), the body and footer (“closing statement”) that resembles the header with different words.
That is, what is called, organic way to build an optimized page (site). Keep in mind that in this posting I just lightly scratch the surface of SEO. More to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment